Sunday 16 October 2016

Geek Speak: Jyotsna

07:34 Posted by Anonymous No comments
For those of you keeping tabs on robotics events, here’s some interesting news! The annual edition of the First Tech Challenge has been announced and a contingent from kidobotikz is gearing up for participating in this event. Considered as the ultimate event in robotics for school students, it aims to promote STEM learning. With participation from across the globe, FTC attracts some of the best talents from schools and also boasts of support and sponsorship from some industry leaders such as NASA, Apple etc. 

A team of Kidobotikzians have decided to take part in this event and are gearing up for the same. With brainstorming sessions being held every weekend, the students are upping the game to make their presence felt at this high stakes event. We meet one of the enthusiastic participants of this team. Even as you ask her questions about their brainstorming sessions, plans and ideas, she jumps up in excitement to talk about the roles she has taken up and how she is looking forward to use this opportunity to connect with important people and gain exposure. Meet Jyotsna, the queen of the FTC contingent and our geek for the day.

Hey Jyotsna! Do you mind introducing yourself to our readers?
Hi everyone! I am Jyotsna. I study in class 9 of La Chatelaine Junior College. Since of yesterday, I am a graduate here at Kidobotikz.

Can you tell us how you became associated with Kidobotikz?
It’s a lucky twist of coincidence, I must say. I’ve always been interested in robotics. But never really had a clue as to where to start. Luckily my sister used to take her music lessons in this locality ands she happened to chance upon the banner of the Kidobotikz center. She was the one who suggested it to me and then I joined Kidobotikz.

That’s interesting. What was your outlook towards robotics before you joined Kidobotikz and how has it changed now? 
Before joining Kidobotikz, I was under the assumption that robotics was a highly complicated subject with some tough technical concepts. Much to my surprise, I realized that robotics wasn’t as complicated as being portrayed. On the contrary, it was a field that required us to know many other concepts before we could start pursuing. That is the significance of robotics. It is a subject which integrates other subjects.

That’s an interesting perspective.

How goes your preparation for FTC? And how do your parents feel about you participating in FTC?
Well, it wasn’t the smoothest of starts. Mom was completely sold on the idea of me going to FTC. Dad was initially sceptical but he too agreed after learning about the significance. So, I have the green signal.

As far as the preparation are concerned, the team has now been formed and is ironclad. We all meet on a weekly basis to discuss about our individual roles and responsibilities. I am currently in charge of understanding the complete set of rules that have been laid down for participating in the event. And as a member of the team, it is my responsibility to convey these rules to my team mates. Apart from these I am also tasked with readying the theme for our participation and the name of our team. 

What are your key plans for FTC? And what is the most important takeaway that you wish to bring back from FTC?
Well, our ultimate goal is to participate in the final to be held in the US. To get there, we need to win events at Coimbatore and New Delhi. So, all our plans and strategies are being planned accordingly. 

The key takeaway would be to feel satisfied with our performance and uphold the values that FTC promotes- gracious professionalism.

So, what are your plans for the future? Any field of interest that you are looking forward to work in?
My role model has always been Dr.APJ Abdul Kalam. So, I’ve always been impressed by the work of ISRO and DRDO. When I was a young girl, I wanted to become an Astronaut like alpana Chawla. But now my focus for the future has shifted. I intend to develop the Indian Space programme by joining as a scientist at ISRO. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment